We have planned a three-day trip up to Maine. We will begin the caravan at Promised Land State Park, located in the Poconos, Greentown, PA. Then, we travel to Sturbridge Village, Mass., touring the 1800's Shaker Village. We'll stop for a quick visit at the LL Bean flagship store as we pass through Freeport, ME. Next, we will make our way to Searsport Shores Campground, Searsport, Maine, located about 150 feet from Penobscot Bay. Using the Searsport Campground as our base for six days, we will take scheduled trips up and down the Maine coast in pursuit of the perfect lobster and clam chowder. Once the caravan is over, interested campers may then caravan with us 135 miles to the WBCCI International Rally in Fryeburg, Maine, or return home.
The following events are included in the itinerary:
- A day trip to the Owls Head Transportation Museum and lighthouse, the fishing village of Tenants Harbor, and Port Clyde.
- A day trip to Camden, Rockport harbors, and a 40-mile view from the top of Mt. Battie.
- A four-hour sailing trip on a 60' sloop/schooner in the Penobscot Bay (see note below).
- A day trip to the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland to see the Andrew Wythe collection and eat lobster rolls by the lighthouse museum.
- A day trip to Fort Knox (1845) and the Bucksport Bridge Observation tower (420' - 360-degree view of Verona Island).
- A day trip to the Schoodic National Seashore Park, the beautiful but lesser-known part of the Acadia National Park.
- A day trip to Castine, Maine - A beautiful 1800s seaport village occupied by four different countries from 1750 to 1820. We will visit a fine museum, the home of the Maine Maritime Academy and an 1812 British earthen fort.
- The Penobscot Marine Museum in historic Searsport (as time allows).
Here are some additional details:
Utility Services: The Searsport Campground provides electricity and water hookups. They also have a honey wagon - you get one free pump-out during the week, and they have a dump station to use when you leave.
Pets: The Searsport Campground allows pets on leash. It does not allow pets to be left in campers during the day while we are out sightseeing. Sturbridge Village does not allow pets and leaving pets in cars in the summer is not a good idea.
Sailing Trip: The sailing trip will be on the beautiful Penobscot Bay and is usually not a choppy ride. The sailing sloop holds a maximum of 22 persons. Since everyone can not fit on one trip, we will charge separately for the sailing and make reservations for the first 22 that register to sail. The cost is $80/person to be added above the kitty fee.
Cancellations: If you must cancel your reservation between March 15 and June 1, 2022. The cancellation fee may be $100.00 if your spot cannot be filled by another Airstreamer.
Rally Fee: $2000.00 for two persons, $1,500.00 for singles.
Deposit: $500 due March 15, 2022.
Attendees will be registered in the order of deposit receipt. Anyone not making the first 15 registrants may contact the campsites directly, make their reservations, and attend the Maine day trips at their own expense. We will develop a waiting list for those who sign up past the first 15.
Registration: Please provide your Name, number in party, Big Red Number, email and mobile number along with $500 deposit via U.S. mail to Peter West, 36645 Jeb Stuart Rd., Purcellville, VA 20132.